The 2010-2011 NHL season has officially begun! No more waiting, prediction shows or team preview blogs (yeah yeah, I know I’m guilty of writing a few, but whatever). Just hockey. As someone who relies on new hockey stories to write new material, the NHL season couldn’t have started soon enough. Seriously, I’ve been running on vapor since… uhh… April. Basically the day after the Stanley Cup Finals ended.
But that’s all behind us now. To kick off the new season, here’s some (random) things I noticed on day one of the new season:
- This was mentioned by several people on Twitter throughout the day and I agree: Are Minnesota and Carolina the best teams to showcase the NHL in Europe? While on the subject of Europe; Why did the arena shine spotlights on goalies and players for saves? Several times I thought I missed a goal because of those ill-timed, misused spotlights.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs really went all out last night in their pre-game ceremony. Including former Leaf greats was a nice touch. And though the ceremony was way too long, my favourite part was when Air Canada Center announcer Andy Frost spoke this line “The 2010 Toronto Maple Leafs ice is made of water from Lake Erie, Lake Superior and Nazem Kadri’s tears.”
- Throughout the Canadiens/Leaf game, it seemed like Mikhail Grabovski shot the puck over the net a dozen times. Too bad he doesn’t shoot as well as he bar-fights…
- While listening to the Leafs post-game radio show on am-640, fans were excited, but cautious. A number of callers didn’t want to get ahead of themselves with just one win. I really appreciated hearing things like “we’ll only put down a small deposit for some of the parade costs tomorrow.”
- Nothing says “let’s get the hockey season underway” like a nice, soft, ballad titled “I’m not perfect.” I’m just saying…
- Luke Schenn was totally booed by the crowd at the ACC during the team introductions. From what I could hear, he was pretty much the only Leaf booed. What was up with that?
- Around half-way through the first period of the Flyers/Penguins game, I saw “respected analysts” tweeting that rookie goalie Sergei Bobrovsky “could be the goaltending answer for the Flyers.” It’s one game, folks. When did the Flyers media turn into the Leafs media anyways? While on the subject of the hot Flyers goalie, you should know Puck Daddy is leading a movement to rename him “Sideshow Bobrovsky.” I support this initiative. (Sorry, no direct link – it came from a PD live chat).
- Jordan Eberle’s highlight reel goal was truly spectacular. Man, the Edmonton Oilers are going to be a ton of fun to watch this season. The only bad thing about that Eberle goal will be hearing Pierre McGuire talk about it for the next half century. Although I could do without hearing Gord Miller mention how many more minutes Tyler Myers played than any other rookie last season (yes, that’s a recycled joke from my article on The Score yesterday, sue me).
It’s fantastic that hockey is back! Should be a great weekend too. Happy Thanksgiving to Canadian readers.
Stay classy, 2010-2011 NHL season.