A huge congratulations to the Chicago Blackhawks for winning the 2010 Stanley Cup on Wednesday night. The strange game winning goal was a fitting end to a series that maintained a strange feel from game one all the way to the overtime conclusion of game six.
A few quick thoughts:
- Antti Niemi was huge for Chicago in game six, especially in the third period. A nice way to end the season for Niemi as he had a very well throughout the Playoffs.
- Say what you want about Scott Hartnell but I thought he was terrific in the Stanley Cup Finals. He showed a ton of character all series. I was down about him all season for his selfish play, bad penalties and lack of effort at times. His play this series certainly proved me wrong.
- Every question CBC’s Scott Oake asks is a backhanded compliment. One of these days someone is going to “feed him his lunch”.
- A small part of me felt happy for Marian Hossa. I can only imagine how he feels right now. I’d also like to get his opinion on what teams will make the Cup Finals next year…
- Patrick Kane showed terrific speed on his game winning goal and completely burned Kimmo Timonen. I’d feel pretty bad if I were him or Darrol Powe, who turned the puck over to Brian Campbell on a weak zone clearing attempt.
- At 22 years old Jonathan Toews has capped off the best year of his life pretty nicely. From the big contract extension, being the top forward/winning the Gold medal at the Vancouver Olympics, winning the 2010 Conn Smythe trophy to hoisting the Stanley Cup, it’s been a perfect year for Mr. Toews.
Stay classy, Jonathan Toews and the Chicago Blackhawks.