It’s a bit of a strange time in the hockey season. While we’re seeing the biggest games of the year being played this week, there isn’t much else going on. But despite this — and the mind-numbing debates on Chris Pronger’s puck stealing “incidents” — there’s still plenty of things that have me all hot and bothered…
- I don’t know if I’m angry or impressed with Daniel Carcillo’s ability to get so wound up for any/every hockey game he plays in. Within seconds of a game starting, he’s already lost his mind worse than that epic Jim Playfair meltdown earlier this year. It’s double points if I dis Carcillo and rehash that coaching freak-out, right?
- Last week’s NHL Combine in Toronto made me laugh. Hockey players don’t generally give very good interviews. To further my point, Jason Spezza is an experienced hockey interviewee and look what you get with him. TSN putting a microphone in front of an 18 year old Cam Fowler minutes after completing the excruciating VO2 max test was a hilariously bad idea. Interview fail?
- “It’s mad in the Madhouse”…
- Today the six-time Norris trophy winner and 40 year old Nick Lidstrom signed a one year-$6 Million contract extension with the Detroit Red Wings. That’s exactly $1 Million more than what 27 year old Anton Volchenkov (reportedly) wants for five or more seasons. Since you already know my views on Volchenkov’s (reported) salary demands, I thought it would be fun to look at other things you could buy for $5 Million:
- One year of Stanley Cup winner Marc-Andre Fleury’s current contract
- Half of the rights to Sidney Crosby’s new Reebok endorsement for the next seven years
- This house (complete with 11 bedrooms, six bathrooms and nearly 9,000 square feet in Vancouver – a perfect hiding place for Senators to stash Alex Kovalev)
- Like, 1/150th of that ridiculous Phoenix Coyotes Arena lease (according to the ever-reliable Yahoo answers…)
- More than two Brent Sopel’s (current salary cap hit: $2.33 Million)
- Half of the Atlanta Thrashers Hockey Club/Don Waddell’s Poor Decisions Ltd. (Probably).
- … “It’s mad in the Madhouse”…
- How awkward/hilarious was Marian Hossa’s goal celebration last night? Yikes… can you image how awkward/hilarious it’s going to be when he finally lifts up the Stanley Cup? Actually, that’s going to be must-see TV!
- Not hockey related but check out this article on Lebron James. James says the Cavaliers have an “edge” in trying to resign him because of his history and personal connection to the city of Cleveland. As sports fans, we’re all stupid for allowing athletes to get away with saying stupid crap like this. What the hell…
- … “It’s mad in the Madhouse”… see Jim Hughson!!!! It get’s really annoying when you keep repeating it!
- The Toronto Maple Leafs recently announced the signing of new Assistant GM Claude Loiselle. Wait a minute. How many Assistant GM’s do the Leafs have? I love how the Leafs seem to prioritize developing GM’s for the NHL rather than solid players. Niiiiice.
Stay classy, NHL news that get me all hot and bothered.
If you liked this post, you might like some of these: