Not everything is rosey in Toronto, following news of an apparent rift between Toronto Maple Leafs only hope at a 2010 first-round draft pick defenceman Tomas Kaberle and King Coach Ron Wilson. Both sides deny the story, but it doesn’t really matter. Everyone knows Brian Burke will trade the talented defenceman prior to or at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.
Having said that, the NHL is a professional sports league (well, at least they claim to be) and with pro sports comes rifts and fights. They go hand-in-hand… just like Spring golf and the Leafs. But let’s not let this new Kaberle-Wilson feud steal all the headlines. I’d like to bring light to some of the NHL’s other rifts you may not know about.
- Goal scoring and College sensation Christian Hanson.
- Ice Edge Holdings LLC and legitimately having enough money to buy the hockey club you said you could afford, like, six months ago.
- Better things to do in life than play pro hockey for a living and Vancouver Canuck Shane O’Brien.
- Health and Rick DiPietro… or any Edmonton Oiler for that matter.
- The -15 Tomas Kaberle and responsible defensive play. (Crap. Does this mean I actually agree with Ron Wilson???).
- Jason Spezza and one day taking an interview seriously.
- Bubble playoff teams like the Colorado Avalanche and Atlanta Thrashers and winning.
- Post-Season hockey and … wait for it… the Florida Panthers. You totally thought I was going to say some other team, right?
- Columbus Blue Jackets and keeping mediocre forwards salaries a step or two below “ridiculously overpaid“.
- Factual content and Eklund (e5).
- Roberto Luongo and “leading by example” by not letting in every shot after winning an Olympic Gold Medal.
- Anton Volchenkov and trust that an Ottawa Senators goalie can actually stop a puck if he can’t.
- Reliable sources and Steve Simmons.
Stay classy, petty NHL rifts.