Canada’s Olympic team… Finally.

December 30th, 2009 by Burgundy Leave a reply »

As the title says, Canada announced their men’s hockey Olympic team, finally.

Steve Yzerman and Mike Babcock are classy men.

While a country like Canada will always have more amazing players than available positions, I’m pretty happy with the final roster. Many can and will say ‘he should have taken him over him’, but I feel this is a pretty solid set of players. That can’t be improved that much.

I’m also pretty happy that the television coverage has ended – TSN can make a half hour special on anything, so I’ve come to learn this holiday season. Anyways, here’s the final roster, barring any unforeseen injuries.

Goalies
Martin Brodeur, Roberto Luongo, Marc-Andre Fleury

Defencemen
Dan Boyle, Chris Pronger (assistant captain),
Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook
Scott Niedermayer (captain), Drew Doughty
Shea Weber

Forwards
Rick Nash, Sidney Crosby (assistant captain), Jarome Iginla,
Brenden Morrow, Mike Richards, Patrice Bergeron
Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Eric Staal
Patrick Marleau, Joe Thornton, Dany Heatley
Jonathan Toews

Of course, there will be debate as to who should of made the team and didn’t. Below is a list of notable omissions

Mike Green, Mike Fisher, Shane Doan, Marc Savard, Jeff Carter, Jay Bouwmeester, Stephane Robidas, Vincent Lecavalier, Dion Phaneuf, Patrick Sharp.

Anyone else I’m missing? What are your thoughts on Team Canada? Can Canada capture gold with this squad?

Stay classy, Steve Yzerman and Team Canada.

Follow Burgundy on Twitter or be a Stayclassy.net fan on Facebook.

1. GelatinousMutantCoconut says:

I have to say I’m pretty happy about it.

I think you could make certain arguments that certain players should be in over some other, but mostly for the 4th liners/3rd pairing/extra’s, and it would just be nit-picking really.

This is a solid team, and there’s no excuses for it not winning gold!

Yeah… to be honest, I’m not sure Canada generates a different result in this tournament swapping out 3rd/4th liners. To your point GMC, this is a great team!

I think we have a lot of competition this time around. The Russian team is insane and the Americans have arguably one of the best goaltenders atm, they also have the likes of Kessel, Parise and Kane. And of course let’s not forget the Swedes.

As for Team Canada, Im pretty happy with our D and goaltending choices. I expected Green to be in place of Seabrook but both are good enough, glad to see Doughty made it in. Forwards is another issue though, overall this is a solid team but I seriously need an explanation for Bergeron being in instead of the likes of St Louis, Savard, B.Richards and Doan. Same goes for E.Staal and M. Richards imo. meh whatever, GO CANADA GO!!

4. Mantooth says:

Man, if only we could put 2 teams in!!!! It had to be hard for Yzerman to make the choices out of so much solid Canadian talent. I am glad to see a lot of the younger guys in the mix.

5. C says:

All I can say is there’d better be a better result this time around…

This is by far the best team they could have sent. Personally, I’d like to see Jordan Staal in Morrow’s place, but that’s it. This is a gold-medal worthy team.

7. C says:

Phaneuf would’ve been my main addition.

Instead of who? I still have Robidas, Green, and Bouwmeester ahead of Phaneuf. Seems like it was a requirement to be able to skate with the puck with your head up to make this team. Phaneuf cannot do that.

I had and still have no problem with our D, it was Bergeron vs St Louis that bothered me the most but even with that I don’t think its makes the team worse that much. Worst case scenario is that we would have a slightly above average 4th line and 3 insanely killer lines.

Yeah… I kept hearing that Bergeron’s name was in the mix and while he’s a great player, I can’t help think that a guy like Marty St. Louis might have been a better fit there.

Overall, great team and I especially like the choices on defense. Looks like Yzerman got it right and there’s no reason why they shouldn’t compete for gold.

Fair arguments for St. Louis. I love MST’s drive and passion. A small part of me was rooting for Stamkos (I know his play has dropped off this month) and Fisher. I have no problem with the players selected a head of those two though. I think Bergeron was Babcock’s pick – he keeps talking about having choices and St. Louis doesn’t bring as much to the table as Bergeron.

Bergeron as you guys know has the chemistry with Crosby, can be useful at virtually any role and is getting stronger. Still would like Jordan Staal over Morrow, but that won’t be the difference of a gold/silver medal.

Yzerman did exactly what he said he’d do – put together the best team.

12. C says:

You asked who we’d add….

That’s fine, but if you are going to suggest Phaneuf (or anyone else), you need to say who he’d replace.

I really don’t think he’s good enough for this team.